Friday, April 22, 2005

Trust Airways

I was chatting with a colleague the other day. We both fly a lot for business and we've had our share of mishaps on the airlines. Lost baggage, 1 hour trips that turned into 8 hour trips, screaming kids....you name it.

Did you ever notice our airline system is totally set up "one way"? The airlines ask us to prove who we are several times. And don't think of going by your middle name on the ticket. It's gotta be the whole name. And what about those people at the security line? Some of them still don't know English. I'm not sure they should even be here. We disrobe to go through security. God forbid you set off the metal detector. At that point your carry-on goes one way and you go the other for some "friendly frisking." Hopefully you and your luggage will re-unite. By the way I need to see your boarding pass.

They ask us questions about what is in our luggage. They rummage through our luggage at will. Did you ever see one of those cards in your bag when you arrived at your destination? It's supposed to make us feel more secure they rooted around in our bag somewhere in the bowels of the airport when you weren't looking. (Another reason Mom was right..always have clean underwear.) Somehow I just feel violated.

I know it's just a sign of our times. But why do we have to do all the trusting? I don't know these people checking me or my luggage. Much less the neanderthal downstairs putting his grubby hands all over my clothes checking for a rogue fingernail clipper, and a can of hairspray.

But if I'm going to fly..... this is my walk to work everyday!`We live by this system everyday day-in and day-out simply place all my earthly gathrings togetheer; and let a stange person runmmage through them.

Sometimes it's just plain easier to drive.

No comments: