Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Mysteries Among Us

Recently I was discussing childhoods with a family friend. There was a group of us and we were discussing different things about where we grew up, our families, how goofy we looked (okay maybe how goofy I looked) etc... It was in the middle of this conversation I found out startling information about one of our group.

She was from a broken home. Not one that split amicably either. In fact it escalated to the point her mother kidnapped the children and lived on the run. They would dye their hair and change their names. The father would get close and then they were off to another state to live another life. Wow, I was stunned. I never expected to hear that coming from her. She was the last person I would have suspected to have lived such a life. But here she was in my kitchen re-telling her story.

For days I could not get her story out of my head. Not just the details of a life on-the-run but how I really didn't know her at all. Somehow I think we are all closer now. Sharing your life experiences can do that.

How well do you know those people you see everyday? Your friends? Your spouse? I bet there are a lot more stories that haven't been told than we'll ever know. And they're playing out right before our eyes...just behind a thin veil of secrecy. Those walls that we build mentally and emotionally for protection keep us from those who love us best knowing us completely.

And that's what we all really want isn't it? Acceptance...friendship...love. C'mon, tear down those walls and let somone know you better. You probably won't end up on the Jerry Springer Show!

Get to know those people God has put in your life... they might just be a mystery among us.

No comments: